[gst-devel] RELEASE: GStreamer Good Plug-ins 0.10.15 'I've been up all night'

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sun May 24 13:22:37 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Felipe!
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why don't you use 'git short-log' instead?
>> git shortlog RELEASE-0_10_14..RELEASE-0.10.15
>
>  Dude! That is way too much information that user is NOT interested
> in knowing and release notes are for users. Git is not the solution
> for all problems on this planet you know. :)

Yes, it's too much information because the history is disorganized.

If you do a shortlog on git.git of v1.6.2..v1.6.3 you'll see much
better results. Not to mention v1.6.3..v1.6.3.1

Also, the command can be tuned to ignore merges, so that you see
"Merge branch move-from-bad-foo" as a single commit.

Personally I'm interested on how many commits each contributor did,
for which 'git shortlog -s' works pretty well already (given that you
have a clean repo).

>> Then you'll see why "[MOVED FROM BAD 56/56]" is ugly.
>
>  That is just ugly, no need to generate release notes from git to realize that.

Yeah, a merge commit would do nicely as I explained above.

>> And why I wasn't really a contributor to this release:
>> Felipe Contreras (1):
>>      Automatic update of common submodule
>
>   I imagine that was an honest mistake and Jan can improve on that
> without acting on your advise.

I don't mind being listed as a contributor of the release :)

All I'm saying is; there are better ways to maintain releases, and git
already provides you with very useful tools, it might not be such a
bad idea to use them.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras