[gst-devel] Should I adopt gstreamer or not?

Guilherme grlongo.ireland at gmail.com
Mon May 25 07:06:58 CEST 2009

          Mates, I am front a decision to make and I'd like to have a
          piece of advice of gstreamer comunnity.

          First thing a have to develop a application that capture audio
          and video and uses for instance (FFT for audio) .

          This seems completely smart to use a high level application
          instead of design my own C script to do the job. However I am
          deeply interest in binary data of it to use with a AI project.

          The point is, I was reading the FAQ and the last question in
          the GENERAL section is this one:

          *Q: * I'm considering adding GStreamer output to my
          application...

          *A: * That doesn't really make sense. GStreamer is not a sound
          server, so you don't output directly to GStreamer, and it's
          not an intermediate API between audio data and different kinds
          of audio sinks. It is a fundamental design decision to use
          GStreamer in your app; there are no easy ways of somehow
          'transfering' data from your app to GStreamer. Instead, your
          app would have to use or implement a number of GStreamer
          elements, string them together, and tell them to run. In that
          manner the data would all be internal to the GStreamer pipeline.

          That said, it is possible to write a plug-in specific to your
          app that can get at the audio data.

I am a bit confused 'cause if I start using gstreamer and than I get
kind of stuck with gstreamer and the only way is to write a plug-in,
taking in account that this background isn't my priority and specialty,
I would take so long and perhaps be obligated to stop and start all over
again.....

Is there a way to get output results from gstreamer by direct  access
dumping the content of the buffers and dumping  it  somewhere I  want
using pointers or the only way is writing plug ins??

Thanks in advance

Tks!

Guilherme Longo
Dept. Eng. da Computação
Unaerp

Linux User - #484927

*Before Asking
http://www.istf.com.br/?page=perguntas

!- I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees -!