[gst-devel] Problem with audio communication over a network

Zelalem Sintayehu zelalems at hotmail.com
Sat May 30 11:43:06 CEST 2009

Hi all, I was trying to send and receive audio using alsasrc and alsasink together with updsrc and udpsink as follows:
for sending:
gst-launch-0.10 -v alsasrc ! queue ! audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000,channels=1,depth=8 ! audioconvert ! speexenc ! queue ! udpsink port=5002

for receiving:
gst-launch-0.10 -v udpsrc port=5002 ! queue ! speexdec ! audioconvert ! queue !  alsasink sync=false

The problem is that I have to start the receiving thread first in order to get the audio streaming through the network to work. Otherwise, I would get the following error:
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstSpeexDec:speexdec0: Could not decode stream.

In other word, if I start teh reciving thread first and then start the sending thread it will work. I also tried vorbis encoder/decoder and the result is the same. BTW, I tried the same thing for video, and it works even if i start the source thread first. I mean in the case of video, the order doesn't matter, but for audio it gives me a problem. However, I think for audio also the order shouldn't matter. Does anyone know the reason? And if i have to correct what should I do? Please help me.

Thank you,

- Zelalem S.