[gst-devel] Regarding gst-ffmpeg and gst-base plugins

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:14:33 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 15:31 +0530, anand k n wrote:
> Hi all,
>         I am trying to the accelerate the gst-ffmpeg codecs using our
> soc's h/w decoder
>  -the h/w decoder allocates sme memory dumps the decoded buffer in it.
> -i would like to use this buffer in the direct rendering using the
> framebuffer driver.
>
> I have explored the features like
>   -xvideo to provide different layers and do compositng.
>  -the fbdevsink feature provided by gstreamer.
>
> But the current problem i am facing is how to avoid the 'memcpy'
> between the decoder and and sink and directly give the buffer to to
> the xvimagesink.
>
> what is the safe and best method provided by gstreamer to do this?

  First of all... you could have a more granular control if you wrote
your wrapped your decoder directly as a gstreamer element (instead of
going through another abstraction layer like (gst-)ffmpeg). If you
already have a convenience library to acces your hw (which I hope you
have), then it's rather trivial (there's plenty of examples of decoder
plugins out there).

  That being said... in order to have direct rendering, your AVCodec
needs to expose the fact that it can (AVCodec->capabilities &
CODEC_CAP_DR1).
  If that is set, then there should be no memcpy, since gstffmpegdec
will request a buffer from downstream (your sink) and write straight to
it instead of doing an extra copy.

    Edward