[gst-devel] About hardware resources liberation notification (e.g. alsasrc)

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sat Nov 7 20:17:57 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Florent <fthiery at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> When you stop a pipeline containing hardware-related elements (e.g.
> alsasrc) by setting the state to NULL for instance, you need to wait a
> few seconds for the hardware device to be available again. Is there a
> state/notification which would let me know exactly when the device has
> been liberated ? I understand the other way (waiting for the elements
> to settle before processing) is implemented (through PREROLL), but
> what about resources liberation ? Should there be some post EOS signal
> or intermediary state ? I can also use probing (starting some fakesink
> pipeline to see if i am getting errors), but this feels really
> unelegant to me.

Once you set a pipeline to NULL, it no longer uses any resources - if
you have to wait for several seconds _after_ that, then that sounds
like a bug somewhere - and it's unlikely to be in the gstreamer
elements.

So: no, there's no notification of this, because there shouldn't ever
be any reason to wait beyond setting it to NULL.

Mike