[gst-devel] Troubles with gstreamer, pygtk and ubuntu karmic

Nicolas Bertrand nico at inattendu.org
Mon Nov 16 19:57:48 CET 2009

Hi,
I use gstreamer and pygtk for webcam acquisition. Since I upgraded to
ubuntu karmic 9.10, I was facing some application freeze/crash.

Most of the time the application freeze and webcam application does
 not start.

For illusrate my problem I use the example from pygst tutorial ( simple
webcam acquisition and display) :
http://pygstdocs.berlios.de/pygst-tutorial/webcam-viewer.html

This program operates normaly on ubuntu dapper drake and ubuntu jaunty
jackalope. I execute the program at least 5 times and webcam
acquisition, is always OK.

If  I execute the same script on ubuntu karmic, sometimes its ok and
sometimes not. Most of the the time the webcam acquisition fails.

What I noticed under karmic  :
    If I use videotestsrc instead of v4l2src, I still having the problem
--> so its seems not due to webcam acquisition.
    When display is not 'forced' to a Drawing area, i.e. the
acquisition starts in another window in place of application window, the
script never crash and webcam acquisition is good. For doin that doin I
don't connect the signal 'sync-message::element'

Do anyone has facing this problem or have an idea for how to
understand/debug this problem.

I post this message on gstreamer and pygtk, because I do not know where
the problem or bad usage come from ?

Thanks in advance for help.

Nico
https://launchpad.net/~nico-inattendu