[gst-devel] Video Hackfest conclusions

Andrey Nechypurenko andreynech at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 25 17:47:52 CET 2009

Hi,

> == gst-plugins-gl ==
> The general consensus was that gst-plugins-gl is a hack. It was
> necessary in the past to get things to work, but is not a good way
> forward. However, the functionality or performance provided by the
> current elements needs to continue working. Developers shared the
> opinion that gst-plugins-cairo with cairo-gl surfaces is the best way
> to achieve this.
> Links:
>  * http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoHackfest/Notes
> Actions:
>  * Get review of cairo-gl/gst-plugins-cairo code from gst-plugins-gl developers
>  * Port gst-plugins-gl elements to use Cairo early to ensure required
> features are available

I am wondering what then would be the preferred way to display video
within 3D scene? I am not familiar with Cairo (so maybe my assumption is
wrong) but as I understand it is more 2D oriented. Will it be like:
gstreamer -> cairo(image?)surface -> gltexture or somehow different?

I understand internal implementation problems mentioned in the notes, but
I have to say that it is rather convenient now with gst-plugins-gl to get the
decoded frame as ready to use GL texture.

Thank you,
Andrey.