[gst-devel] webcam not working alright

dabicho tsukebumi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 18:01:55 CET 2009

Hello. I added screenshots for a lack of words to describe the images. My
english is not that good.
I have gstreamer 0.10.25 and having problems with my laptop webcam

Laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FX150FE
webcam is Ricoh Co., Ltd
I use kernel 2.6.30, on amd64 architecture with gentoo
uses uvcvideo modules

The camera is working ok, as I can use it with mplayer and skype alright
I can' make it work with ekiga, camorama, cheese or gstreamer-properties

I have the following symptoms:
output from gstreamer-properties
 gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'pulsesrc'

working with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
with v4l, I get the picture from the screenshot
with v4l2, the led indicating the camera is capturing, is on, but I get no
video.

cheese is 2.28.1
It turns on the camera, and then off and no picture
And I get the picture attached from camorama and ekiga

I don't know where I am missing stuff.
Probably some settings? or some libraries?
ekiga looks like it is interpreting video assuming a wrong resolution.
camorama and gstreamer-properties with v4l have a similar problem to each
other
And I have no clue why v4l2 is not working with gstreamer-properties or
cheese.

I am at a loss for clues to where to start looking. Yes, I have googled, but
I haven't found something useful yet.

Does anyone here have an idea what am I missing?

Thank you