[gst-devel] Gran Canaria meeting notes

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:28:46 CET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 18:55 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 16:21 +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > == GStreamer 1.0 ==
> > Possible items:
> > * Easier installations for other platforms
> >   - Windows and OS/X installs
>
> I'd definitely be interested in making Totem and Rhythmbox work better
> on MacOS X (for which I actually have test machines).

  IIRC, I think we were talking about SDK and installation systems for
those platforms. Some alternatives have starting popping up for windows
(which enable you to create a 'package' of an application, like
winbuilds), but macosx is still a grey area.
  Getting a gst/gtk application to work on windows/macosx is one thing
(which surprisingly isn't all that hard nowadays codewise).... getting
it bundled/shipped in an easy way is a whole new world of pain though.

> <snip>
> > == Supporting KDE/Qt better ==
> > * Need examples of GMainloop/QtMainloop examples
> > * Widget examples
> > * applies to OS/X and Windows too - provide more platform example code
>
> Should some parts of Totem's video widget be moved into playbin2, or
> something on top of playbin2?

  On top of playbin2 would make more sense imho, like a convenience
high-level library for playback handling everything you mentionned
underneath and handle it in a cross-platform way.
  Making higher-level convenience libraries (like quicktime does on
macosx) is a noble goal to achieve for 1.0, easening the integration of
GStreamer in various applications wanting to playback content without
caring about all the gstreamer tidbit/details.

> There's things like:
> - logo handling (a "rest" image for the movie player, and the main way
> to show errors in the browser plugin)

  This *could* be added to playbin2... but not 100% certain whether
everybody wants that. Might be better handled in the viewer widget part
(i.e. in convenience lib).

> - Parts of the missing-plugins code (Totem offers to play video with no
> sound, but not the contrary, Totem's audio preview, as used by nautilus,
> will play the sound even if the video can't be handled)

  Couldn't we add some
'missing-video-acceptable'/'missing-audio-acceptable' flags to playbin2
for that ?

> - Better error reporting

  What do you have in mind ? collecting error messages (and maybe other
events/signals/...) and reporting a reduced set of user-visible error
messages specific to playback ?
  Are there some inconsistencies in error messages that we could fix in
lower levels ?

> - Tags, subtitles and audio tracks handling

  That would be nice in the convenience library.

> - Seeking based on time

  Err... because we're doing seeking based on bananas-per-square-mile
right now ? What do you mean by that ?

> - Handling of tick signals

  what do you mean by that ?

> - Make it easier to test whether a sink is available

  What do you have in mind with that ? Using auto*sink should remove the
need for the user to know/need that.

> - Setting visualisations needs a lot of trickery

  Even with current code in playbin2/playsink ? What's missing ?

> - Get/Set video output properties (contrast, brightness, etc.)

  Yup, proxying to a convenience library would be nice for that.

> - Capturing a single frame from a video

  Same comment as above.