[gst-devel] Video Hackfest conclusions

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 12:48:31 CET 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 09:46 -0500, Robert Krakora wrote:

> Ben:
>
> Thanks for your very insightful summary of the Video Hackfest and
> thanks to the GStreamer team for a very well architected and
> extendible piece of software.  Recently ffmpeg and MPlayer introduced
> VDPAU support which works very well and allows one to employ lower
> cost CPUs in Linux based machines that are to be used primarily for
> multimedia purposes.  Can anything be learned from their integration
> of VDPAU that might benefit the GStreamer team?  My end goal is to
> employ GStreamer with VDPAU support for video decode with Fluendo
> codecs for audio decode.

  If you want to use proprietary codecs/plugins, just ask the provider
of those codecs (I'm pretty sure Fluendo has closed-source vdpau
plugins).

  If you want an open-source solution, there are already plugins in
gst-plugins-bad that wrap VDPAU. Right now only mpeg2 is present, but
Anton (who has been doing that work) just got git commit access, so one
should expect a lot of progress in that regards within the next month or
so.

  Our main concern about VDPAU and VAAPI ... is that those two API rely
on "you shall use our API to do everything", which is a very
narrow-minded view of modern multimedia usage. We need to be able to (1)
only use parts of those API (like only the decoding part) and (2) be
able to efficiently (without bringing back to main memory) use the
decoded content.

   Yours,

     Edward