[gst-devel] Building gst-python-0.10.17

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 26 23:43:00 CET 2009

I tried last summer to build gst-python-0.10.15.2 against
gstreamer-0.10.23.2 and gst-plugins-base-0.10.23.2.  Although the builds
appeared to succeed, I was never able to import gst in Python.  After
struggling for a couple weeks, I reported one problem as a bug and gave up.
Now that over 4 months have elapsed, I thought that I would try again with
the latest versions (0.10.25 and gst-python-0.10.17).  One problem that I
experienced previously has disappeared, but I still encounter the other:

python -c "import gst"
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Element'

I googled this error message and found that many other people have seen the
same message, but no one has ever posted a solution.  I traced the problem
to _gst.so (that is, import gst._gst produces the same error), but from
there I am stuck because I don't know anything about creating shared object
libraries.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?
--
Jeffrey Barish