[gst-devel] about capturing 5.1 and 7.1 sources

Julien Isorce julien.isorce at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 01:23:35 CEST 2009

2009/9/8 Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk>

> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 17:53 +0200, Julien Isorce wrote:
>
> > There is a ac3iec958 element that can convert a ac" stream to raw int
> > stereo data (audio/x-raw-int, channels=2). Am I correct ?
> >
> > Well, Is there a  rawIntStereo_to_ac3 element ? does it make sense ?
> > (Because I heard that ac3 can be provided over raw stereo.)
>
> Some people put AC3 or DTS data into 16-bit stereo PCM streams, but this
> is mostly a "hack" as far as I know. This kind of mis-labelling of the
> stream contents should not really be needed.

ok

> I don't think there's an iec958ac3 element yet.

ok

> Alsasrc would probably
> need a few fixes before this would work anyway.

Why ? I think spdif input also supports 16 bits stereo raw int.

Well It seems that newer capture devices are responsible for decoding ac3 or
dts, in hardware. And so directly provide pcm.

I am currently testing the sound blaster X-Fi extreme audio, but I can't
capture and resitute 5.1 or 7.1.
(linux: driver pb, seems to be not correctly reconized by alsa)
win: maximun 2 channels)

If anyone already succedeed  to capture 5.1 or 7.1 with a correct
restitution, it would be appreciated to share the model of the capture card.
(linux or other os)

Sincerely
Julien