[gst-devel] how to cleanly re-install gstreamer? Help!!

Yiliang Bao yiliangb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 08:59:07 CEST 2009

Hi Sean,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

I tried both options. Here is what I encountered. Some of information might
be helpful for other people who gets into the same trouble.

What I did -->

Originally I installed all the packages using "apt-get ****" from command
line. So they should be official releases. I upgraded gstreamer by compiling
the latest source, it worked fine after resolving some library issues. After
I ran ./configure for the latest base plugin package before I ran make and
install, I found that all the old plugins (almost) were gone. I was able to
resolve most dependencies by installing the development libraries
(libXXX-dev) except for 4 plugins related to header files. After I installed
the base set, I moved on to the good set, and found more problems. I
patiently tried to solve all the library related dependency issues, but was
left with more plugins that could not be built because of header file
related issues.

After I finished upgrading base and good set. I tried to construct some
pipelines with plugins already installed after my best efforts mentioned
above, but no luck. These pipelines that were working previously no longer
worked.

1. Reinstall the old packages from package manager

After I messed up with gstreamer, I tried to install the old packages using
"apt-get" command, but it said all the packages are the latest, even though
I knew most plugins were already removed.

So this option seems to have some problem.

2. Continue compiling from source

After wasting quite some time, I decided to move ahead with other packages
by ignoring these plugins that I had no idea how to resolve the issues.
Resolving library related dependency issues was rather tedious, but it is
fairly straightforward. I just tried to find the development libraries in
package manager with name similar to that complained in the ./configure
output.

Finally, I was able to able to install all the packages. Although many
plugins were left un-installed, gstreamer works fine for the functions I
tested, and RTSP server is also working now.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Yiliang

L.R.N wrote:

> Sean McNamara wrote:
>> Generally it's not a good idea to switch out a different version of
>> the GStreamer core under the feet of installed plugins. When you do
>> that, you should rebuild the plugins.
>>
>> I'm assuming you are on Linux since you use Synaptic Package Manager.
>>
>> You have two options to recover a working gstreamer installation:
>>
>> 1. Reinstall all gstreamer packages from the package manager. You will
>> lose the ability to use gst-rtsp-server and your compiled gstreamer
>> core will be overwritten with what's in the package manager. Figuring
>> out the names of every gstreamer package in order to reinstall them is
>> a question you should ask to your Linux distribution support channel.
>>
>> 2. Compile all the desired gstreamer plugins from source. This will
>> overwrite any plugins with the same names from the package manager.
>> Also, if you ever allow your package manager to apply a software
>> "update" to your gstreamer packages, it will happily overwrite your
>> work. To prevent that, you may want to place a "hold" on these
>> packages to indicate they should not be upgraded. Again, a question
>> for your distribution support. For this option you'll also need the
>> development packages of the plugins' many dependencies. Depending on
>> how thorough your distribution is, this method could take a lot of
>> work.
>>
>> GStreamer is just a set of files -- shared libraries, mostly. Treat it
>> as such. A "clean install", intuitively, consists of deleting all the
>> current files and installing new ones to replace them. If you use your
>> package manager, it does that automatically and lets you think of it
>> in terms of "installed" and "uninstalled" (an unnecessary abstraction
>> for this case). If you compile from source, you're just overwriting
>> the files that the package manager claims to have "installed".
>>
>> -Sean
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Yiliang Bao<yiliangb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I compiled and installed the latest gst-rtsp-server, and updated
>>> gstreamer
>>> itself based on the error messages from gst-rtsp-server installation.
>>> However, after these steps, I could no longer find some plugins like
>>> mad,
>>> xvimagesink, v4l2src, etc.
>>>
>>> I have tried re-installing the latest versions of all plugin packages. I
>>> have also tried to remove, then re-install all plugins from Synaptic
>>> Package
>>> Manager. Got some plugin, like v4l2src, back, but mad, xvimagesink are
>>> still
>>> missing. autovideosink is there, but some pipleine which works is no
>>> longer