[gst-devel] SDLVideoSink hangs on Windows

Marko Mikkonen mmikkone at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Sep 19 21:54:31 CEST 2009

I've compiled now GStreamer with MinGW for Windows, but I can't get
SDLVideoSink to work. It hangs:

--------------------
C:\TEMP\gstreamer test>gst-launch-0.10.exe filesrc
location="H:/movies/test.avi" ! decodebin !
sdlvideosink --gst-plugin-path="c:\temp\gstreamer test"
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
------------------

After this nothing happens. Gst-launch doesn't respond to ctrl-C and I have
to kill the process in Task Manager. SDLAudioSink works fine. BTW I've
compiled SDLSink plugin with both configure/make/make install and with
CodeBlocks MinGW edition (created a new project for it). I got a lot less
rubbish in the dll with CodeBlocks. I mean there was a lot of exported
functions in the dll when I compiled it with Make. Compiling with CodeBlocks
made only 5 functions exported.

How do I debug this? I'm completely new to debugging GStreamer. I tried to
set breakpoints with CodeBlocks, but gdb is very slow to even catch the
first breakpoint so I gave that up (has something to do with loading all
those plugins in plugin directory???). I tried printing from SDLVideoSink -
functions are only called once when making gstreamer registry (when I've
deleted it) so I'm not becoming any wiser. Then I tried to use --gst-debug
option with some debug categories, but I'm not really sure which ones to
try. There are so many and there's a lot of output... Maybe you could point
me to the right direction? Could this hanging be caused by a race condition
somewhere (there's no eternal loop here: CPU usage stays minimal)?

-Marko