[gst-devel] how can I make gst-rtsp-server as a VOD server?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 15:28:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 18:06 +0800, dxssx wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to use gst-rtsp-server as my vod server, but I found it is too
> hard for some reasons:
>

> 1. rtsp-server has no flow control in sending packet.
> It sends packets as fast as possible which makes client can not decode
> in time.

for flow control if relies on a gstreamer element that produces correct
timestamps. If you are, for example, sending an mp3 file, you need to
insert mp3parse after the filesrc so that timestamps are properly set on
the data.

> 2. rtsp-server has no dynamic url.
> Everytime I add a file into vod list, I need to add a url mapping for
> it.

You can make a subclass of the mediafactory to dynamically create
pipelines. The example base class only accept gst-launch type syntax.

> 3. rtsp-server doesn't support dynamic pipeline.
> Everytime I add a file into vod list, I need to rewrite a new pipeline
> to parse and rtppay it.

Again this can be implemented using subclasses of the standard example
factories.

Wim