[gst-devel] One microphone, recording mono fails

Viraj Karandikar virajk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 13:57:43 CEST 2009

Hi,
You can capture 2 channels and then use audioconvert to convert it to mono
channel.

gst-launch gconfaudiosrc ! capsfilter \
caps=audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2,depth=16 ! \
audioconvert !
audio/x-raw-int,rate=8000,depth=16,channels=1,width=16,signed=\(boolean\)TRUE,endianness=\(int\)1234
! wavenc ! filesink location=test.wav

regards,
Viraj

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Jan Martinek <honza at dp.fce.vutbr.cz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am unable to record only one channel (mono). I have only one
> microphone attached to sound card. But if I run this
>
> gst-launch gconfaudiosrc ! capsfilter \
> caps=audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=1,depth=16 ! \
> wavenc ! filesink location=test.wav
>
> then I get this error message:
>
> Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
> ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
> ERROR: from element
>
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstGConfAudioSrc:gconfaudiosrc0/GstBin:bin0/GstAlsaSrc:alsasrc0:
> Could not negotiate format
> Additional debug info:
> gstbasesrc.c(2584): gst_base_src_start ():
>
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstGConfAudioSrc:gconfaudiosrc0/GstBin:bin0/GstAlsaSrc:alsasrc0:
> Check your filtered caps, if any
> Setting pipeline to NULL ...
> Freeing pipeline ...
>

> It can be solved if I use two channels for recording, so this
>
> gst-launch gconfaudiosrc ! capsfilter \
> caps=audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2,depth=16 ! \
> wavenc ! filesink location=test.wav
>
> works fine. But I would like to record one channel because further data
> processing is little easier.
>
> Thank you
> Jan Martinek

- Viraj
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.