[gst-devel] plugins missing

Robert Powell rob at yorba.org
Thu Aug 5 20:46:17 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:16 PM, harshada gune <gune.harshada at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>  I am trying to install gstreamer plugins on ubuntu.
> I did the following steps to install good,bad,ugly and base plugins from
> gstreamer:
>
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-base

[deletia]

> Now when I do gst-inspect | grep osssink, I don't find any results. same
> happening with some other plugins also e.g. alsasink, oggdemux etc.

I'm guessing you have plugins installed in multiple directories.  Run
gst-inspect without any arguments, and choose a plugin at random.  Run
gst-inspect for the plugin you chose and examine the Filename detail.  If
you look in that directory, I'm guessing you'll not find the osssink plugin
in that directory.

If this is the problem, and you need multiple plugin directories, this page
describes that:
http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gst-running.html
If you don't need multiple directories, you can just delete (or rename to be
conservative) the directory that is being picked up instead of the correct
one.

Rob