[gst-devel] Python binding and creation of new elements

José Luis Segura Lucas josel.segura at gmx.es
Thu Aug 19 22:49:36 CEST 2010

Hi Mike!

First, thanks for your answer.

My element won't read from a file. It will read from a socket, using a
object-oriented RPC library (ZeroC Ice). I take that example from the
"plugin writers guide" because it's the example of use of "sometimes pads".
That example from the tutorial can be done using filesrc and a demuxer, as
you propose, but the problem is still here: the demuxer will have a bunch of
sometime pads that will be created and added to the element at exec time.

I need to make my element waits to receive the data through the library, and
when it happens, create and add the sometime pad to the element and pass it
to the connected sink pad of other element in the pipeline.

In Python I can't use gst.BaseSrc, because apparently, it only allows
"always pads", and using gst.Element as super-class, I can't find the way to
write the "loop" method shown on that C-example.