[gst-devel] Stream on iPad, iPhone, Android...

Yohan Baillot admin at simulation3d.biz
Tue Aug 24 18:54:17 CEST 2010

Hello Ivan

If I understand your email I am at the middle of the same thing, trying
to stream video from an Iphone. The ARM Cortex A8 in the phone has
according to the ARM web site at least the NEON engine that can do video
encoding / decoding for H.264 and MPEG4 on hardware. There might be also
the Mali-VE6 or VE3 GPU that has also some video processing hardware
capability as well. The problem I currently have is that I cannot find
any clear documentation or example on how to access those capabilities.
I found on the web site some companies that provide a MPEG or H.264
encoder software that charge $20K to $50K licensing fees (!) and I am
not actually sure they use such hardware components. If the hardware is
there I would think that there is a way to call simple function to do
the encoding instead of doing a software encoding, but so far I dont
find those functions / library

So I am looking at higher framework like Gstream of FFMPEG  for example,
that is why I am listening on this list, but so far it seems that
Gstream can only be used to encode a video file out of images, but I
need to encode video frame into a continuous live video stream that can
be sent out of the phone on a socket. Is this what you are trying to do
as well? Any one here can give us some pointer on how Gstream might be
able to help or if that is even feasible or if what I just said is plain
wrong?

thanks for the tips!

Yohan