[gst-devel] mpegdemux, mad, mpeg2dec, ... missing after installing PPA packages

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 10:15:31 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 09:25 +0200, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> On 25/08/10 21:37, Agostino De Matteis wrote:
> > The configure script has the parameter --prefix that defines where it
> > should install the files, the default value is /usr/local. See
> > ./configure --help
> Hi Agostino,
> Thanks for replying. I tried
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
> make
> make install
>
> and I observed that this does install the files in /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/ (as I wanted), but after that, when I execute
> for example gst-inspect (even if I write /usr/bin/gst-inspect, to avoid
> the order of directories in PATH) GStreamer only searches for plugins in
> /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10, because it doesn't find plugins that are
> in /usr/lib/...).

That's because you still have your custom GStreamer in /usr/local, and
stuff in /usr/local is preferred over stuff in /usr. Really, you should
remove GStreamer from /usr/local.

Also there's not really a reason to install GStreamer by hand into /usr.
You can get up to date packages for Ubuntu from the PPA and if you want
to develop for the latest GIT of GStreamer you can run it all
uninstalled without breaking your system.
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-developing.html#developing-uninstalled-gstreamer