[gst-devel] The 1.0 plan

wally_bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 20:36:34 CET 2010

Sebastian Dröge-7 wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:09 -0800, wally_bkg wrote:
>
>> I also think the best documentation is a working sample code, with decent
>> comments.  The only way I could figure out how to interpret video data
>> pixels in a buffer (either as a plugin or appsink) was to stumble around
>> the
>> source code for gstgamma and gstvideoscale.
>>
>> Of course the data you get in a buffer depends on the caps, but am I the
>> only one who thinks there has to be a better way than:
>>
>> [...]
>
> For this you should use the libgstvideo API to get the video format,
> width, height, rowstride, component widths/heights, component offsets,
> pixel strides, etc. from the caps:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-gstvideo.html

Actually it was the nested function call to get the caps that seemed goofy
to me.   I still need to do that on the buffer to use most of these API
functions.

Unfortunately not all the API features I might like to use are in the 10.28
version that is in Ubuntu 10.04.  Since I don't intend to maintain a
distribution, I need to target something as a lowest common denominator (it
was Ubuntu 8.04 when I first started learning about gstreamer).

I'm still trying to decide if overall my problem is better solved by
processing the video data by writing a plugin or using appsink & appsrc.
I'm playing around right now with both approaches, but straight off the top
using appsink & appsrc lets me create my application with a simple make file
instead of needing all the automake stuff to build a plug in.  Once I'd
built the plugin template the first time,  "make" was all I needed
afterwards, but I'd sure hate to have start with virgin Ubuntu install, and
the one file I modified for my "plugin" and have to show someone else how to
build and install it again!