[gst-devel] Linux to Windows

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Dec 21 19:07:10 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Shamun toha md <shamun.toha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because Gstreamer features are more under Linux platform. But same package
> if required to port for Windows, seems a hell is just sitting out there.
> If we try with Winbuilds, it does not fit all the features that is available
> for linux distros.
> Question:
> 1) Is it not possible install Cygwin/Mingw in Windows XP/Vista/7

That is certainly possible.

> 2) Put the GStreamer source and compile there

That is possible too, though it's complex and absurdly slow - using
winbuilds is a much better idea.

> 3) Use Cygwin way of GStreamer
> Impossible, anyone ever tried ? Can then JAVA wrapper will work ? Can JAVA
> Applet will work ?

It should be possible (though it may require some work) to get the
java wrapper to work on windows. Java applets running native code are
pointless though - hard to develop, hard to deploy, not helpful to
anyone. Don't do that.

Mike