[gst-devel] matroskamux variable frame dimension problem

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Wed Feb 10 18:19:10 CET 2010

On 02/10/2010 05:00 PM, Tamas Korodi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any possibility to save matroska files containing h264 video
> stream with variable frame dimensions?
> I would like to save video streams from IP cams. It is possible to
> change video resolution on the cameras, while I'm saving their streams
> with Gstreamer. When I tried to put an Mpeg4 stream into a matroska
> container with variable frame sizes, i was able to play that file. When
> I tried the same thing, but with an h264 format i can't play the file,
> or i can't save it either.
> So are there any way to save variable frame resolution matroska files in
> Gstreamer? If not, are you planning to implement it sometime?

the question is that raw h264 stream do not contain the resolution
information so matroskamux do not know the resolution from the raw h264
stream. so if we'd like to save the result into filesink it's not
playable and seekable.

so suppose we've got an rtsp source with h264 stream how can we put
together a usable pipeline to save the video into a matroska file and
then be able to playback it?

what's more if the source change the resolution how can we force the
pipeline to propagate the new resolution 'automagically' to the
matroskamux _without_ stop and play the stream?

or it's not possible?

anyway for mp4 there is a mpeg4videoparse element but there is no such
element for h264:-(