[gst-devel] RTP Vorbis Audio Streaming Caps Problem

Nick Daniels somebodys.home.is at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:51:47 CET 2010

Hi there,

I'm trying to stream RTP audio encoded as Vorbis. Unfortunately I can't get
it working as I seem to have a problem with the caps, which I think could be
a bug?

For testing purposes (I will use rtpbin in the end) I use this launch:
     gst-launch -v audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! rtpvorbispay !
udpsink host="127.0.0.1" port=5000

Here's the caps I get back (are they not a bit long??)
http://pastebin.com/f36965bea

I can then play back the sound using the launch.
     gst-launch udpsrc port=5000 caps="MY_CAPS" ! queue ! rtpvorbisdepay !
vorbisdec ! audioconvert ! alsasink

It works fine but it's a bit jittery (I assume I need to put a jitterbuffer
in there!).

My problem is when I'm using an audio source from my camera (or from a
filesrc):
     gst-launch -v dv1394src ! queue ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc
! rtpvorbispay ! udpsink host="127.0.0.1" port=5000

Here's the caps I get back...
http://pastebin.com/f5ae9933f

So when I do the receiving end's launch:
     gst-launch udpsrc port=5000 caps="MY_CAPS" ! queue ! rtpvorbisdepay !
vorbisdec ! audioconvert ! alsasink

I get an Error:
     WARNING: erroneous pipeline: could not set property "caps" in element
"udpsrc0" to "application/x-rtp, m....

I think this must be due to the \" etc. which are now in the "configuration"
property, but removing them means the sound doesn't play back.

Could this be a bug with the vorbis encoder or rtppayloader or am I just
missing something out? It also seems like an abnormally large configuration
string, is this normal?

Many thanks in advance,
Nick