[gst-devel] Playbin unable to play http stream

Debsu debojyoti.pal at wipro.com
Fri Feb 19 13:56:54 CET 2010

Hi,

I was trying to play an http stream using Playbin & gst-launch tool by
giving the following command:
gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin uri=http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9lKUwBCIBzA/default.jpg

But instead of playing this picture, it gave me the following error:
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /playbin0/source: Could not open resource for reading.
Additional debug info:
gstgnomevfssrc.c(864): gst_gnome_vfs_src_start (): /playbin0/source:
Could not open vfs file "http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9lKUwBCIBzA/default.jpg" for
reading: Generic error Setting pipeline to NULL ...

But when I gave this URL to any browser, it displayed the picture, even when
I used libCurl to download the data from that URL and dumped into a file,
then also I was able to see that picture.

Can anyone tell me, what mistake I made? I think Playbin has support for
http plugins, then why it is unable to play the picture.

Thanks in advance.