[gst-devel] Is there ftpsrc element?

Benjamin Otte otte at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 21:13:11 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 16:13 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> Of course I didn't mean to write just another FTP implementation...
> there must be some library out there that can be used.

Getting offtopic now, but whatever:

The reason there is no readily usable FTP implementation is that the use
cases are so different. To give an example: The default error code you
usually get is "550 Operation failed". That is not a problem for a
command line client, because then the user is smart enough to do
something about it. However, a gvfs backend wants to get a GIOError as a
result, so we go through a lot of pain to figure out why the operation
failed (did someone try to copy a nonexisting file? Or a directory? Or
does he have no read permissions? Or...) to allow things like recursive
directory copies inside apps like Nautilus.

So you end up with very different FTP implementations everywhere. And
even if those implementations were libraries (at least curl and gvfs
are), you'd still not use them because they don't match your use case.

Cheers,
Benjamin