[gst-devel] What could cause the error in xvimagesink (XGetWindowAttributes): X Error of failed request?

yiliang yiliangb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:23:56 CET 2010

Hi,

I have 2 applications. One application (application A) creates a window, and
sends the window ID to another application (application B). application B
has a gstreamer video pipeline that uses xvimagesink to display the video as
overlay in the window using the window ID provided by application A. I am
sorry if it sounds a little confusing. This is to separate UI from pipeline.

Following function is used to configure xvimagesink with window ID:

    gst_x_overlay_set_xwindow_id(GST_X_OVERLAY(xvimagesink), winId);

Most of time it works fine, but sometimes I encounter the following problem,
and the application B is terminated:

X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x400016f
  Serial number of failed request:  32

After some debugging, I found the error was generated in function
gst_xvimagesink_set_xwindow_id() when it called the following function:

XGetWindowAttributes

Could anyone give some hint how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Yiliang