[gst-devel] AppSink vs FileSink question

Andrey Nechypurenko andreynech at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 4 16:42:01 CEST 2010

Hi Folks,

In my application I want to capture the output of the encoding
pipeline for further processing. So my assumption was that using
appsink would give me the same byte stream as the one stored in file
with filesink. To be more concrete, I have the following pipeline:

  pipeline =
    GST_PIPELINE(gst_parse_launch
                 ("videotestsrc ! "
                  "video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! "
                  "x264enc ! "
                  "matroskamux ! "
                  "appsink name=mysink",
                  NULL));

then, after setting up the callback I just write the buffer into file:

  GstElement *mysink = gst_bin_get_by_name(GST_BIN(this->pipeline), "mysink");
  g_object_set(G_OBJECT(mysink), "emit-signals", TRUE, "sync", FALSE, NULL);
  g_signal_connect(mysink, "new-buffer", G_CALLBACK (on_new_buffer), NULL);

static void
on_new_buffer(GstElement *element, void *data)
{
  GstBuffer *buffer = gst_app_sink_pull_buffer(GST_APP_SINK(element));
  fwrite(GST_BUFFER_DATA(buffer), GST_BUFFER_SIZE(buffer), 1, f);
  gst_buffer_unref(buffer);
}

To my surprise, the content of the file is not recognized as matroska
container. The header (the beginning of the file) is indeed totally
different from what I get if I execute the following command line:

gst-launch videotestsrc !
video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1 ! x264enc !
matroskamux ! filesink location=test.mka

So my question is - am I right assuming that my application with
appsink should produce correct mka file similar to the command line
with filesink?

If not, I would appreciate any suggestion or hints on how the pipeline
should looks like to playback what is recorded by appsink in the
scenario mentioned above.

Thank you very much!
Andrey.