[gst-devel] how to play the AAC audio by Gstreamer?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 11:53:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 13:04 +0800, michael young wrote:

>      I try it like Sandeep said, first I install the libfaad-dev
> through Ubuntu's apt-get.
> then I reconfigure the gst-ffmpeg plugin, and installed it, but cannot
> play m4a file,
> the error message is just the old one.
>       and then I installed the gst-plugin-bad, play the m4a file again
> , I got information
> like this:
>
> (gst-plugin-scanner:18537): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load
> plugin '/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstcamerabin.so':
> /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstcamerabin.so: undefined symbol:
> gst_photography_get_focus_mode
>
> Do you know what's wrong here?? thx

Please don't install GStreamer from source. Ignore anyone who tells you
that that's what you should do.

GStreamer installed from source into /usr/local/ is going to conflict
with your GStreamer installed from packages, it's impossible to help you
with such a setup. It also breaks other things like the automatic codec
installation that comes by default with ubuntu and other distros.

I would strongly recommend you uninstall all GStreamer plugins and
libraries that you have installed into /usr/local/*. The easiest way to
do that is to run 'sudo make uninstall' in the source tree where you
previously typed 'make install'.

Have you tried playing your file in totem? It should pop up a dialog
that will search for the missing plugins and hopefully install them
(well, that's before you messed up your system by installing stuff from
source).

gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is the package you need as far as I know, but
it seems you have other problems (ie. gstreamer installed from source
into /usr/local/*).

Cheers
 -Tim

PS: also, please don't send large attachements to mailing list