[gst-devel] How can I use debug packages from PPA?

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 17:11:50 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 08:17 -0700, wl2776 wrote:
> Sorry for asking here, but Launchpad for some reason disallows me to ask
> there.
>
> I've downloaded packages with debug symbols from the GStreamer-developers
> PPA in hope to trace execution of some functions.
>
> How can I use them?

  The same way you would use any other debug packages from Ubuntu
(warning, I'm not a debian/ubuntu expert, but gdb does work as expected
when those packages are installed).

> I've found that the files from them were installed in
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10 on my computer (Ubuntu 10.04)

  Those are the .debug files (i.e. not the code, but all the file
content that was stripped away). gdb should be able to pick them up
fine.

> I tried setting GST_PLUGIN_PATH and GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH to that location,
> tried linking the examples with -L/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/
> nothing helps, the gst_parse_launch function doesn't build the pipeline.

  Don't do that, link to the regular /usr/* paths.