[gst-devel] Wrong pad probe behavior on returning false

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Mon Jun 7 19:21:13 CEST 2010

In an earlier thread Tim-Phillip Muller wrote:

     You could ...  set up a buffer probe on the capsfilter's sink pad.
Whenever
     a buffer is pushed through, your probe callback will be called and you
can
     decide whether the buffer should be dropped or kept by returning TRUE
     or FALSE.

I coded this approach up and sure enough it works, right up until I decide
to discard a frame of data.  I return false from the pad-probe and it stops
being called, the rest of the data goes flying by, EOS  goes down the pipe
and I exit.

The docs and Tim-Phillip say the data will be discarded on false, kept on
true.  There is no exact statement saying this refers to the individual
frame, but that seems the proper interpretation.  No doc suggests that the
callback will be disconnected on a false return as would a false return from
a bus callback.

It this an error in interpretation or in the code.

Wes Miller