[gst-devel] General question about the queue element

Kristofor Amundson kta719 at mail.usask.ca
Fri Jun 4 00:41:04 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I have been working with GStreamer for awhile, but I am eager to understand
more about what happens behind the scenes.

For example, when I execute this command:

*gst-launch -e filesrc location=/dev/video0 ! queue ! mpegpsdemux !
mpegvideoparse ! mpeg2dec ! tee name=t ! queue ! x264enc ! mp4mux ! filesink
location=test.mp4 t. ! queue ! ffmpegcolorspace ! jpegenc !  appsink*

It will hang indefinitely on:
*
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...*

And if all I do is add the queue element between jpegenc and appsink I get
it to work properly:

*Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock*

Now, it took me awhile to figure out that was what was wrong with the
pipeline, but it got me very curious as to why that was the case. Is anyone
able to provide some insight for me into the queue element and how it works?
I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Kristofor