[gst-devel] On writing GStreamer plugins for OpenCV video surveillance facility

Giorgio Buffa buffagio+ml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 18:54:43 CEST 2010

Hello all,
I'd like to write a detection pipeline, i.e. a pipeline which does automated
video-surveillance (motion detection, object classification, tracking, and
so on).

I think GStreamer could help me a lot: I need only to write some plugins
that encapsulate the algorithms for automated video-surveillance.

I've already read several documents:
    * GStreamer Application Development Manual
    * GStreamer Plugins Writer's Guide
    * Gstreamer Core Design Documentation
    * GObject Reference Manual
and I've made some test.

Now my problem: I would like to use the video-surveillance algorithms
provided by OpenCV, which is a library for Computer Vision. The library is
mostly written in C, except for the part I need for, which is in C++.

OpenCV defines several C++ classes which do the job I need, but I don't know
how to use them in my plugin: for my understanding, the plugin has to be
written in the C programming language. Can I write a C++ plugin? How?

I read I can use some sort of wrapping techniques to use C++ classes in C
code (newer tried), but the C++ classes I need for use hierarchy and virtual
methods (I think it is a problem, isn't it? Maybe I can do the magic whit
GObject).

Can anybody help me? Do you have some hint / useful link?

Thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Giorgio Buffa