[gst-devel] OLPC Open Video Chat Announcement

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 23:36:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 16:18 -0400, Taylor Rose (RIT Student) wrote:

> Currently there is a bug in Gstreamer that does not support passing
> configuration data inband with RTP and Theora (link).  Our other
> option is to use Telepathy-Farsight but this has also given us
> problems.  We have been able to get Farsight to work inconsistently
> with closed codecs but we could not get it to work at all with Theora
> which is a requirement of our project.

I'm not sure how your current stuff works, but if you're not using RTP,
you're doing it wrong.

You should definitely be using Farsight2 and telepathy-farsight. That
GStreamer depayload bug was fixed already. Farsight2's example
(examples/gui/fs2-gui.py in the farsight2 source tree) uses Theora just
fine.

That said, Theora is not a great choice for video calling because of
their stupidly large headers. You may want to investigate VP8 instead,
my colleague Sjoerd has made a preliminary RTP payloader for it.

You should come and discuss your problems on the #gstreamer or #farsight
channels on FreeNode.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk