[gst-devel] alsasink and volume issue

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 11:16:56 CEST 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 18:36 -0700, G.B wrote:

> No, I am not using Pulse Audio, just straight Alsa. Also the music clip is
> of same content, so no volume changes as well.
>
> The audio was still working, just the volume was very very low, so some part
> of the gstreamer/alsalib makes the hardware to lower the volume. The same
> music clip can be played fine by vlc, mplayer, etc for long time without any
> problem.

So this happens with gst-launch? What pipeline exactly? Using what mp3
decoder? Does it happen just with that one particular mp3 clip, or any
mp3 clip, or any audio file (wav, aac, vorbis, flac?). Does it happen
with audiotestsrc?

Why do you think "some part of the gstreamer/alsalib makes the hardware
to lower the volume" ? Do you see the hardware mixer settings change,
e.g. in the alsamixer application? GStreamer/alsasink don't mess with
hardware mixer settings usually.

 Cheers
  -Tim