[gst-devel] problem when playing an mpeg4 video

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 11:59:35 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 10:27 +0100, Sedji Gaouaou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a gstreamer plugin for the atmel
> at91sam9m10(source can be found here:
> http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/SAM9M10Gstreamer). It
> embeds a video decoder, and I am trying to make it works.
>
> Currently I am testing it doing:
> gst-launch filesrc location= mnt/video/AVI/MPEG4/myfile.avi ! avidemux
> name=demux demux.video_00 ! queue ! x170 output=RGB16 inbuf-thresh=0000
> output_width=480 output_height=240 ! ximagesink display=:0.0

  Is your decoder outputting properly timestamped buffers ? Replace
"ximagesink display=:0.0" with "fakesink sync=True" and use the '-v'
argument of gst-launch.

  With that you will be able to see the timestamp/durations of the
buffers entering fakesink. You should normally see continuously
increasing value.

> It works for a while, but at some point I have this error:
>
> WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstXImageSink:ximagesink0:
> A lot of buffers are being dropped.
> Additional debug info:
> gstbasesink.c(2572): gst_base_sink_is_too_late ():
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstXImageSink:ximagesink0:
> There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow.
>
> I am using the gstreamer_0.10.25.
>
> I have noticed that this message comes from the gstbasesink.c, and I
> also noticed that if I change the timestamp of my decoded frame to
> "GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE", then I don't see the problem anymore(but of
> course the file is played in fast forward...)

  If it manages to play it that fast in this case... that means your
decoder is fast enough, which points even more to the fact that the
buffers coming out from your decoder are wrongly timestamped.