[gst-devel] setting http userid/password with playbin (was: Playbin unable to play http streaming)

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 15:48:29 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 06:02 -0800, Debsu wrote:

Hi,

> I want to play an image or media file from http source through playbin. Soup
> plugin is installed, through which playbin can read from the http source.
> But whenever I give the following command :
> gst-launch playbin
> uri=http://www.youtube.com/img/pic_youtubelogo_123x63.gif, it gives me
> "proxy authentication required" error. Http Proxy is already set in the
> environment variable and through Curl I can read from that location.
>
> Now in GstSoupHTTPSrc has some properties through which I can set the proxy
> id and password ("proxy-id", "proxy-pw"). Then I hope this problem will
> solve.
>
> But how can I add this source element in the Playbin? The GstPlayBaseBin
> documentation says that its "source" element is only read only property.

Basically you need to do what's described in the section called

"Specifying which CD/DVD device to use"

in
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/gst-plugins-base-plugins-playbin.html

just that you want to set the proxy-* properties and not the device
property on the source.

You can't do that with gst-launch though, you will need to write code.

However, *maybe* you can pass the proxy user/password via the http_proxy
environment variable by doing something like

 export http_proxy=http://user:password@proxyserver

I don't know if that will work or is supposed to work though.

Cheers
 -Tim

PS: you should use playbin2 instead of playbin.