[gst-devel] rtpschropay/depay?

David Schleef ds at entropywave.com
Wed Mar 31 04:27:20 CEST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:13:46PM -0400, Mallard wrote:
> I am looking at the spectrum of codecs available in gstreamer to send
> live-sourced video streams over rtp.
>
> H264-encoded video has the available gstreamer elements rtph264pay and
> rtph264depay. Is there any work being done on the equivalent for
> Schroedinger (eg. rtpschropay / rtpschrodepay)?

They would be called rtpdirac[de]pay, since the format is Dirac.

However, nobody has ever written an RTP spec for Dirac, so until
that happens, there will not be Dirac RTP elements.

> In the absence of these elements, would it be possible to construct a
> low-latency pipeline to send (and receive on the other end) a
> schro-encoded video stream over rtp?

You can encapsulate Dirac in MPEG-TS and send MPEG-TS over RTP.
It's a little convoluted, but that's how it's done in broadcasting
for H.264.

dave...