[gst-devel] Icecast a dv stream via ogg

matheist76 at westnet.com.au matheist76 at westnet.com.au
Tue May 11 08:27:07 CEST 2010

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I want to, using gst-launch, send a dv (firewire) stream from a video camera convert it to an ogg and then send it to an icecast server.

I have tried several things. The main problem seems to lie with converting the dv video stream into a theora stream.

So I ran some tests. These I ran on an Macbook Pro with an Intel Dual core 2.4GHz Processor and 4GB of ram and my old Toshiba Dual Core 1.8GHz processor and 512MB of ram

So the tests were:

1. Just test the decoding of the dv stream.
gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! dvdemux ! dvdec ! fakesink

Mac: gives me 50% and 4% CPU usage. video quality unknown
Tosh: same

2. Do the full conversion.
gst-launch-0.10 dv1394src ! dvdemux ! dvdec ! video/x-raw-yuv ! ffmpegcolorspace ! theoraenc ! oggmux name=mux ! filesink location=test.ogg

Mac: That gives me 100% and 4% usage and real crap video.
Tosh: Same :-(

I have tried various other things like used queues and set the dv stream to drop frame rates however it ends up that it kinda works but the file plays for only 7 secs when I've recorded 30 secs worth or it records the video for the right length but misses showing most of the frames.

Matthew Franklin.