[gst-devel] How do I use "intermediate" frame stepping?

wl2776 wl2776 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:06:11 CEST 2010

Oh! Thank you for the answer.

Wim Taymans wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 06:31 -0700, wl2776 wrote:
>> Frame stepping event has the "intermediate" field of type G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
>> which can be true or false depending on ... what?
>
> It is TRUE or FALSE depending on if you want TRUE or FALSE in the
> resulting GST_MESSAGE_STEP_DONE. The purpose is to flush out data from a
> sink in the PAUSED state in small (intermediate) steps so that upstream
> queues don't overrun.

About this message. I don't see it in the playbin's bus.
Is it internal?
Should or could an application react on it somehow?

Wim Taymans wrote:

>> Frame stepping backwards is of VERY SPECIAL interest.
>> When do I set this field to TRUE?
>
> If you're going to be stepping 10 seconds on a sink and your upstream
> queueing is say 1 second, you need to split the step operation into
> multiple smaller intermediate steps and then you use the flag to track
> your progress.

The flag - do you mean an additional variable in my application?

Wim Taymans wrote:

>> I have some problems with the frame stepping backwards on MPEG-2 files.
>
> Not surprisingly since backwards playback in mpeg2 is not implemented
> yet.

I want to (and have to) develop this feature. Do you have any other
information sources about mpeg demuxer besides the "fine source"? I would
appreciate if you point me to them.