[gst-devel] Video 3D support

Martin Bisson martin.bisson at gmail.com
Mon May 24 04:45:46 CEST 2010

Thanks, I took a look a "Stereoscopic Player".  At the end of my
project, I'd like to make a simple GTK example that would do something
similar.

The way I see it, 2 "normal" video streams would be put together in one
3D stream with the caps mentioned in the previous mail : side-by-side,
bottom-top, row-interleaved.  That would be the way a 3D stream would
make its way through the pipeline.  Then, a 3D stream could be output in
a number of different formats like the ones available in Stereoscopic
Player.  I figured that for simple "software" streams, like anaglyph,
the caps could be those of a normal stream.

For the other formats, well first I don't have access to that kind of
hardware...  There might be some head-mounted displays I could get a
hand on at my university, but I'm not even sure.  Anyway, would we
actually need caps for those streams?  I figured that the output formats
related to a specific hardware would be part of a plugin.  For example,
you would plug a normal 3D stream into the output plugin that could do
what is needed for either NVidia 3D Vision, iZ3D or whatever.  If that's
correct, there might be an option on the output plugin to set what type
of output but no new caps would be needed.

Hope that makes sense,

Mart