[gst-devel] Camera Configurations with Gstreamer

Andrey Nechypurenko andreynech at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 14 23:16:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I'm developing a game which uses a PSEye (Camera) in Ubuntu. I'm able
> to play what the camera captures in the game but the camera is auto
> adjusting its gain (V4L2_CID_AUTOGAIN on Video For Linux Two API). I
> don't want this behavior. Can I disable the camera AUTOGAIN using only
> the Gstreamer?

AFAIK, you can not do it neither with v4l2src nor with any other
elements available. I agree, that it would be nice feature for
v4l2src.

> I've understood that I need to develop a mini-driver using the V4L2
> API, which is time-consuming for a simple task, since I'm able to do
> all the rest I need using Gstreamer it would be wonderful to use only
> it. I'm programming in C++ on Ubuntu 10.04.

I do not think that driver is necessary in this case. If the camera
already supported by V4L2 (and as I understand it is the case) then
you can use V4L2 API from your application to set controls as you like
before using gstreamer.

For example, recently I did something similar (disable auto exposure
to increase the frame rate) before running gstreamer pipeline. To
learn how it works, I've written small program which prints available
camera controls and could be used to set these controls. Let me know
if you want to take a look at sources. I'll be glad to share it.

Regards,
Andrey.