[gst-devel] Can't record audio fast enough problems

David Klasinc bigwhale at lubica.net
Sun Oct 17 16:26:15 CEST 2010

Greetings,

if someone could shed some light on this. I am trying to capture my
screen and record audio from pulse or alsa source. I am working on
python application and I get the same behavior in python app and if I
use gst-launch.

Here's the command line I use:

gst-launch ximagesrc endx=1680 endy=1050 use-damage=false \
show-pointer=true ! videorate ! video/x-raw-rgb,framerate=25/1 ! \
ffmpegcolorspace ! queue ! schroenc rate-control=lossless ! queue ! \
mux. pulsesrc ! audio/x-raw-int ! audiorate ! \
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100 ! flacenc ! queue ! mux. matroskamux \
name=mux ! queue ! filesink location="test.mkv"

No matter what codecs I used for audio or video and no matter what
compression level I tried, I always ended up with the error:

WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSrc:pulsesrc0:
Can't record audio fast enough
gstbaseaudiosrc.c(822): gst_base_audio_src_create
(): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSrc:pulsesrc0:
Dropped 1054240 samples. This is most likely because downstream can't
keep up and is consuming samples too slowly.

I even tried recording raw data and muxing it into avimux and I got the
same problems. Tried on several different machines. If my endx and endy
parameters to were lower than everything was working as it should.

So, my question is this a global performance issue? I can't capture
1680x1050 video and audio at the same time? Or is something wrong with
my command line?

Regards,
David