[gst-devel] Does GStreamer has a plan to support DRM (e.g. OMA DRM)?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Oct 19 06:12:34 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Lin, Mengdong <mengdong.lin at intel.com> wrote:
> Many thanks for your information, Matt!
>

> We want to support OMA DRM 1.0. It protects the content by adding a
> encryption wrapper outside the original media file. To play the media, the
> wrapper must be removed and decryption is need to extract the original media
> file.
>

> Is it possible to insert a DRM filter plug-in between the filesrc plug-in
> and demuxer plug-in?  The DRM filer can remove the wrapper and do decryption
> if need, or just let data pass through if no DRM wrapper is present.
>

> Is the following pipe possible for the playbin?
>
> Type finding:
>
> Filesrc -> DRM wrapper filter  -> typefind -> fakesink
>

> Playback:
>
> Filesrc -> DRM wrapper filter  -> demuxer -> decoder -> render

You could certainly do that without any problem - the "DRM wrapper
filter" would just be another normal plugin, handling a specific
format. There's nothing special about the fact that it's DRM, in what
you've described.

Of course, then the output of the DRM wrapper filter is the
unencrypted original file, so a user could trivially set up a pipeline
like filesrc ! drmremover ! filesink, and just get rid of the DRM
permanently. This is great for the user, but probably not what you
actually wanted.

Providing a _secure_ path for decrypt/decode/output is a much more
complex task. You'll need to do a lot of thinking about that.

Mike