[gst-devel] detecting ip camera video lost

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 08:43:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kocsis Tibor <ikt011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my problem is the following: I watch a live view from an ip camera
> through rtp, the source element is rtspsrc. Then I pull out the
> camera's utp cable and I don't see any error messages on the bus or
> something else from that I can detect the pull-out. Is there any way
> to detect the video lost after all? What should I do?

I guess for "UTP" cable you mean the ethernet connection (being usually the
connection toward the physical camera coaxial).

In order to understand whether no data is neing transmitted anymore, you can
use the "on-timeout" signal in rtpbin:

http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-good-plugins/html/gst-plugins-good-plugins-gstrtpbin.html#GstRtpBin-on-timeout

Unfortunately, this timeout value appears not to be directly tunable, being
computed as the minimum between 5s and 5 times the (RTCP?) reporting time.
The latter is not directly tunable and should require some negotiation at
signaling level (I guess you're using RTSP or SIP) to get prompt reaction
for the receiving sw.

Regards