[gst-devel] Debugging a blocked GStreamer pipeline

Todd Fischer todd.fischer at ridgerun.com
Thu Sep 2 03:15:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

We are seeing a behavior where we run a GStreamer application (doing
audio / video decoding), that runs continuously for several days, then
suddenly locks up in the middle of an A/V stream.  Our best guess is
there is a defect in the ALSA output driver.  We believe this because if
we exit the application and try aplay, it doesn't work.

I am wondering if there is a debug GStreamer logger element in existence
or if one is even possible or helpful.  Such a logger element could be
put anywhere in the pipeline. The logger would have circular buffers to
keep track of all potentially interesting recent history, such as pad
activity, bus activity, and any other relevant information. The circular
buffer entries would all be timestamped. When some event occurs (a file
exists, a message/signal is received, etc), the element would dump the
history, and continue capturing new data.

This idea is after the pipeline locks up, you could cause the history
logger to dump it data, and then get an idea of what is suppose to be
happening that isn't not occurring.

Does such a logging element exist?  If not, does it make any sense to
develop?

Todd