[gst-devel] videomixer2 ?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 00:28:18 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 00:05 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:

> my question as always (eq queue2, playbin2 etc) then why not replace
> the old one?

Because we'd like to keep the old elements working the way they used to,
for backwards-compatibility and all that. This is often quite hard to do
when you rewrite/redesign something from scratch. And even where it's
possible, it might result in confusing API and/or confusing and hard to
maintain code (some properties/signals/messages only applying to that
mode, others only to that mode, others to both etc.). Much easier for
everyone involved to just leave the old elements alone and do new ones
with different behaviour and API.

 Cheers
  -Tim