Making mmssrc asynchronous

Johan Thelin johan.thelin at pelagicore.com
Mon Apr 4 02:19:14 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I'm facing an issue with the non-asynchronous mmssrc and need to
resolve it (at least for the connection phase). My basic plan is to:

1. Split the connection phase of libmms into two parts -
attempt_connect and is_connected, where the first initialises the
connection attempt and the second can be polled to monitor the state
of the socket. There must also be a way to cancel a connection attempt
here, to allow for changing the URL during a connection attempt.

2. Update mmsrc to this. Basically, manage state transitions manually,
responding ASYNC to the READY_TO_PAUSED transition and then start a
polling timer that waits for is_connected to return true.

Does this seem like a good way to go about this? What is the "correct"
way to handle polling in a gstreamer source? etc. Any input is most
welcome.

Best regards,

--
Johan Thelin M.Sc.E.E.
Senior Software Developer

Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18 Gothenburg, Sweden
Mobile: +46 (0)700 900 250
Skype: jothpelagicore
E-Mail: johan.thelin at pelagicore.com