rtp marker bit available for the decoder

Gabriele Mondada gmondada at recolive.com
Tue Apr 12 01:13:01 PDT 2011

Hi,
In order to minimize latency, I would like to decode rtp packets (H264 NALU) as soon as received (no buffering) and wait for the last NALU in the picture before generating the picture bitmap.
RTP defines the marker bit allowing the decoder to know when the last NALU is there.
In my understanding, gstrtph264depay is ignoring the rtp marker bit. The decoder receives a buffer for each NALU but has no info about which NALU is the last of a picture.
I can wait the first NALU of the next picture before generating the output bitmap. At the sender side I can also generate a dummy SEI NALU juste to inform the decoder that the picture is finished but... What is the good way to do that ? Is there a way taking benefit of the rtp marker bit ?
Maybe we should add a flag in the buffer telling "I'm the end of the picture".
Any comment ?
Thanks,
Gabriele