[gst-devel] High CPU utilization with audio encoding

mingqian Han mq_han at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 01:41:14 CET 2011

Hi all,
    I am playing with a pipeline with texas instruments dm365 like:
   alsasrc->audio encoder->appsink, where appsink grabs the encoded data and sends it by RTP.
    The audio encoder is a mulawenc, but modified to use ittiam g.711 codec.
     Now, with command "top", I can see that CPU utilization is low (0.2%) for a period time, then it will be high(like 90%) for a while, and this high-low CPU utilization circle repeats.
    As I understand, the "chain" function in mulawenc accepts data pushed by alsasrc, at a frequency about 400 times per second, for a 64kbps g.711 and 160-byte frame size. I think this is a killer for the performance.
    I am quite new to gstreamer, so I hope some one will help me with this problem.

Regards,

Rafael